Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: Bang (The Black Lotus Series #1) by E.K. Blair

If you're looking for something to one-click, this is the book!!! It's a thriller full of sexy suspense, and devious intent. Look for E.K. Blair's BANG (Black Lotus Series #1) to be at the top of everyone's list.

Release Day Blitz
Title: BANG
Series: The Black Lotus Series, book #1
Genre: Dark Suspense, Thriller, Romance
Release Date: May 19, 2014

**Due to the dark and explicit nature of this book, it is recommended for mature audiences only as some scenes may be particularly disturbing.**

They say when you take revenge against another you lose a part of your innocence. But I’m not innocent. I haven’t been for a very long time. My innocence was stolen from me. Taken was the life I was supposed to have. The soul I was born with. The ruby heart embedded in a life full of hopes and dreams. Gone. Vanished. I never even had a choice. I mourn that life. Mourn the what-ifs. Until now. I’m ready to take back what was always meant to be mine. But every plan has a fatal flaw. Sometimes it’s the heart.



He thinks, in this moment, that we’re making love. He fills me slowly as I lie beneath him. Arms laced around his neck. Legs spread open wide, inviting him in deeper as he makes a meal out of my tits. He believes everything I want him to. He always has. But this is merely a game for me. A game he foolishly has fallen into. He never questions my love for him, and now my body writhes underneath his and moans in mock pleasure as he comes hard, jerking his hips into me, telling me how much he loves me, and I give his words right back.

“God, I love you so much,” I pant.

His head is nestled in the yoke of my neck as he tries to calm his breathing, and when he lifts up, I run my fingers through his hair and over his damp scalp as he looks into my eyes.

“You’re so stunning like this.”

“Like what?” I question softly.

“Sated.”


Idiot.



E.K. Blair has an uncanny ability to write damaged characters that you can’t help but fall in love with.  Bang is decidedly different from the Fading series, but in my view, it is just as fabulous.  My focus in writing this review is no spoilers, so it may be a bit cryptic, but not knowing any of the detail of the story really is crucial to getting the full impact as you read.

Laced with suspense and revenge there are many unexpected twists in Bang.  Elizabeth, the primary character is a very damaged woman, hell bent on seeking revenge and retribution for the violent years spent in the foster care system.  Pike, her foster brother and resolute ally is the only thing that keeps her stable, and the two have a grand plan in place to deliver the vengeance they believe they are owed.

Despite being damaged there is much to love about Elizabeth.  Her life experience has been horrific and the path she has chosen is understandable.  Her story is revealed in a gradual way and it is not until quite well into the story that you understand a number of the connections/relationships.  The intrigue around what is happening keeps you glued to the page and wondering just how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.  Ultimately though, what I saw in Elizabeth was a woman simply wanting to find peace, love and happiness – and really, who doesn’t want that?

The pace of the story builds as it progresses, ending in … well, a BANG!  Technically, I guess it is a cliffhanger finish, but having got there I don’t feel cheated or like I need the next instalment now.  The intensity of the finish is perfect for the story.  Do I have questions I still want answered?  Yes, definitely.  Will I mark my calendar for the next instalment in this series?  Absolutely!

If you like a story that leans to the dark side (and let me be clear there are some graphic, violent and distressing scenes in this story) then Bang is a book you should pick up.  I was riveted the entire time I was reading, found myself totally engaged with the characters –sharing their emotions as the scenes played out before me and fervently hoping that everything would fall in Elizabeth’s favour.

4 out of 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment